Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Get current dir into dirhistory?

May
After I've now history in general working (with the kind help of Steve Fabian and David Marcus), there's one last nit with the dirhistory: it doesn't store the current directory, so when closing a shell, the last directory visited is not in the history.

Is there a way to store the a directory into the dirhistory as soon as it is hit (typically through cd or cdd)? This would make such a directory available to all other concurrently open shells, similar to how the command history works.

The next best workaround that I can think of is a "cdd d:\" (that's my "base directory") in TCEXIT. This forces the last used directory into the history, at least post-mortem. This way it is available for the next session, but not for any concurrent sessions.

Any better solutions?

Thanks.

By the way, that option requires 12.10, I believe. Before 12.10 I used to have this line in my TCEXIT.BTM file:

dirhistory /a %_cwd

By the way, that option requires 12.10, I believe.
Yes it does; thanks for the hint. I still have 11.0; maybe it's time to update.

Before 12.10 I used to have this line in my TCEXIT.BTM file:

dirhistory /a %_cwd
This seems to have the same effect as "cd ." (conceptually cleaner but more verbose :) ). However, in TCEXIT, it doesn't put the current directory in the history when you go to it.

Another possible solution:

alias PRE_INPUT=dirhistory /a %_cwd

This causes the cwd to be added to the history right before the prompt is displayed.

Rod Savard wrote:
| Another possible solution:
|
| alias PRE_INPUT=dirhistory /a %_cwd
|
| This causes the cwd to be added to the history right before the
| prompt is displayed.

I do the same in POST_EXEC, which propagates the information before the next
prompt is displayed. Cf. PRE_INPUT is performed immediately after the next
prompt is displayed, a delay which is most likely insignificant. However, I
already do some other things in PRE_EXEC (to wit, I issue a BEEP if the
command required more than 30s to execute to wake me up), but have no reason