Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Function #IDOW returns only 2 characters

May
I use @IDOW[1950-01-01,4] to detect the current display language. I expect 3 characters as documented in TCC help. However, I only get the first two, thus zo, not zon, for "zondag" (Dutch for Sunday)

What may be wrong?

System is Windows 8.1 professional, 64bits TCC version is still 11.0

Just to confirm, Rex, because I have the same "problem".

Windows GetDateFormat takes the "Datum (kurz) (Date (short))" from the following ...?

DatumFormat.JPG

Then, of course, it's clear.

%@idowf takes the "Datum (long) (Date (long))". Should %@idow not take the first "ttt" ("ddd") from "Datum (long) (Date (long))"?

No plugins at all. The problem exists only when the date/time is set to Dutch format. Short date dd-mm-yyyy is numeric and should have nothing to do with names of days. The long date format is set to dddd d MMMM jjjj.
When set to English (UK or US), it returns Mon for Monday. When set to Dutch it returns ma for maandag. where maa is expected.

That's exactly what it does.
No, unfortunately not!

Here are the results on MY system (Location-things are NOT changed since Win-Install) (NO plugins):

long.JPG

Correct.

short.JPG

NOT ok!

IF %@idow WOULD take the first three, it would be "Mit".

Greetings

PS: Do not work too hard - at least not, if you have the same temperature as here :-)

Regardless what is configured, the function never return the first three character of the long day of week, but the abbreviated notation as common for your country. In German and Dutch, only the first two characters are standard, while in English the first three are usual.
Such is, however, not ad documented.

Regardless what is configured, the function never return the first three character of the long day of week, but the abbreviated notation as common for your country. In German and Dutch, only the first two characters are standard, while in English the first three are usual.
Such is, however, not ad documented.
Ok, understood! And yes, it's true, here in Switzerland, we use only the first two chars. I was (also) confused about the docu.
Thank you!

I wasn't referring to the Windows output, I was referring to how TCC is calling the Windows API. For some unknown & undocumented reason, the API is returning the wrong result in Dutch and German (at least on some systems; I don't know whether it happens in all).
Ok, understood! It's a swiss german edition BTW. We have only the first two chars for short-day, so it's not incorrect. But after reading the docu - I was confused. Maybe the docu could changed ...

From ...
"Returns the 3-character abbreviation for the day of the week for the specified date, in the current locale language."

... to ...
"Returns the abbreviation for the day of the week for the specified date, in the current locale language."