Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fullwidth Unicode forms display incorrectly

Mar
In TakeCommand, fullwidth Unicode forms (Halfwidth and Fullwidth Forms (Unicode block) - Wikipedia) are handled incorrectly. They appear to confuse some internal column tracker, and cause the console to wrap poorly.

The problem can be seen by executing "for /L %c in (65313,1,65338) do echo Fullwidth %c: %@CHAR[%c]" at the command line.

The problem appears to be associated with the underlying windowing code, as running the same command in TCC hosted in the new Windows Terminal does not exhibit the problem.

Use case: I regularly use fullwidth forms of characters which would otherwise be disallowed in filenames (\ / : * ? " < > |), because the fullwidth forms are legal.

I was hoping nobody would discover or want to use those characters! :rolleyes:

Take Command supports wide characters for Far East code pages, but I haven't enabled it for everybody else because it results in a performance hit while drawing text because Take Command has to check each character to see if it's either 2-columns or (worse) 0-columns.

I've enabled this for everybody in the next build.

Given that most people don't use wide characters, is there a way to enable or disable support with an INI directive?

If it's just an extra if-statement, how much difference can it make? And if most characters are one way, then shouldn't the branch predictor basically handle it for free?