Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Forum avatars?

rconn

Administrator
May
Staff member
(Email only users, ignore this message. I already know what you're going to say.)

When I originally configured the forums I disabled avatars, because to me they seemed inappropriate for a support forum.

However, all of the new forum software packages seem to treat avatars as a fundamental part of the forum. (For things like displaying which threads you've posted to, and who started a thread.)

How do people feel about avatars? Did you always want one in this forum? Or would you always leave yours blank?

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:24:24 -0500, rconn <> wrote:

|(Email only users, ignore this message. I already know what you're going to say.)
|
|When I originally configured the forums I disabled avatars, because to me they seemed inappropriate for a support forum.
|
|However, all of the new forum software packages seem to treat avatars as a fundamental part of the forum. (For things like displaying which threads you've posted to, and who started a thread.)
|
|How do people feel about avatars? Did you always want one in this forum? Or would you always leave yours blank?

I'll do without one.

I'll do without an avatar. Hopefully Rex will be able to hide avatars completely to pack more text on a single web page. Keep HTML signatures with hyperlinks; they are nice to occasionally add one's configuration info or links to important threads, etc.

If they're there I usually set them up. However, it's not high on my wish list. So, basically I don't care.

-Scott

-----rconn <> wrote: -----

======================
(Email only users, ignore this message. I already know what you're going to say.)

When I originally configured the forums I disabled avatars, because to me they seemed inappropriate for a support forum.

However, all of the new forum software packages seem to treat avatars as a fundamental part of the forum. (For things like displaying which threads you've posted to, and who started a thread.)

How do people feel about avatars? Did you always want one in this forum? Or would you always leave yours blank?

Avatars are not important to me for this forum and I would not use them if they were offered.

I might use one if they were available, and would not shed the tiniest tear if they were not.

| Avatars are not important to me for this forum and I can do without
| them.

Concur. No objection either.
--
Steve

I have no desire for avatars. I didn't like the movie, either.

Only saw it once, but I came out wondering if it might not have been better without the 3-D. A little, anyway?

Cameron has gone into a bit of a slump, hasn't he?

I've seen many sites where avatars go beyond the ridiculous - and most of the time it's kids or teenagers with nothing better to do. Old farts like (most of) us tend to ignore this (for the record, I *did* make the effort of putting a picture as the avatar for the feedback site... a 16-year-old picture of myself!).

I'd rather keep it as an optional thing.

And just to be a d*ck, I'll remind everyone that X-Faces *were* supported a looooooong time ago in both e-mail and selected news clients.

No preference. Might use it if available.

I guess the fact that I set one up whilst working through the new profile settings means that I'll use it if available :)

Apparently the new forum software access Gravatar.