Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FIND command error

Oct
I'm not sure what the cause of this is, but all of the sudden the FIND command is no longer working, not even FIND /?

find /?
find: unable to access "/?": The system cannot find the file specified.

No command line switches work, so my batch files that use FIND /I are broken. I've updated them with FINDSTR, but I'm confused why this happened. Seems like it worked after v25 was installed. I'm quite confused, I have search for the errors I am receiving but no luck finding anything. I get this from v24, v25 and Windows Command Prompt. But only on one system.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Does the file C:\Windows\system32\find.EXE exist on your system? If so, is C:\Windows\system32 in your path?

Found it. Thanks IBM InfoSphere, you jerk. MKS Tool is a part of this install. I was working on documenting the installation process using Defendpoint yesterday and had to install it.

From TCC:
which find
find is an external : C:\PROGRA~2\MKSTOO~1\mksnt\find.exe

I really appreciate the help!

No one has mentioned TCC's built-in FFIND. It can find files by name or content (with regular expressions).

Are there any command line utilities that will search for streams (or even text in streams)? In a quick Google search I discovered that you can give a directory an alternate data stream.

Code:
v:\> echo foo > play:foo.txt

v:\> d /: pla*
2019-11-06  10:17         <DIR>    play
                                5    foo.txt:$DATA

v:\> type play:foo.txt
foo

Fix your %PATH% order then.
And check out the "findstr" command, it even lets you use RegExp's.

Thanks, that was the root cause, but I just uninstalled IBM InfoSphere, don't use it, just documenting the installation with -force to bypass the local admin check. That's done, that turd is gone and I'm back working.

It's been a very long time since I even touched my path, much less had to troubleshoot something like this, brings back memories.

I may dig into FFIND fer giggles. Since no one else that I work with has bought TCC, may be best to stick with FINDSTR.