Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Filename completion at the beginning of the command line?

May
TCC/Windows can execute quite a few file types that TCC won't complete at the beginning of a command line. A few are .URL, .XLSM, .OXPS, .PNG, .DOCX, .LNK, .SLN, .CPP. .H. .WMV, .TXT, .LOG. Is there a way to make TCC complete ALL types at the beginning on a command line without putting them all in PATHEXT and without typing a space before starting the file name?

No.

It's only been requested by one person in the last few years (a few others inquired and were satisfied by the space/tab workaround), and IMHO it's a bad idea as it will generate potentially thousands of unwanted matches.
Space/tab ... ? I wasn't accurate. I never want to complete when the command line is blank. But when I've typed something I wan't all possible completions. So for me it's space/type/tab

I'll just add them to PATHEXT as necessary. Today it was .PDF, a few weeks ago, .SLN. The one before that in my PATHEXT is .CHM; I can't remember when I added that one.

Vince, have you tried defining executable extensions? For example, I have defined environment variable .pdf to have the value "reader" (no quotes). If I enter some characters on the command line (without any leading space) and hit tab, PDF files are completed. I have defined executable extensions for all the types of files that I want to be found that way. And I do not want path searching for them.

Vince, have you tried defining executable extensions? For example, I have defined environment variable .pdf to have the value "reader" (no quotes). If I enter some characters on the command line (without any leading space) and hit tab, PDF files are completed. I have defined executable extensions for all the types of files that I want to be found that way. And I do not want path searching for them.
Don't you get TCC: Unknown command "reader" if you try to execute it after it's completed?

If .PDF is in %PATHEXT, it's completed and, if I press Enter, it's executed. I'm not worried about path searching. I always know what I want and if it isn't in the current directory, I give a path. So I'm pretty sure it's found before any path search.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I have simple aliases, such as "reader", that invoke the full command line for the program. My point was that defining an executable extension allows file completion without a leading space.

You often don't have to tell TCC how to execute something. For example if you have

Code:
v:\> assoc .pdf
.pdf=AcroExch.Document.DC

v:\> ftype AcroExch.Document.DC
AcroExch.Document.DC="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"

As for the completion ... I just discovered the (not very well known?) INI directive CompleteAllFiles=Yes which does the trick.

Indeed. I thought you were saying that a file association was not enough to let TCC do file completion without a leading space. My point was that defining an executable extension does do that.

I was not aware of the CompleteAllFiles directive. However, I think I prefer using executable extensions rather than file associations and the path to control what gets executed and how.

But TCMD/TCC is an amazing product! There are so many ways to accomplish what one wants.