Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Failed REXX invocation not closing file

Jul
Using v3.5 of Regina REXX and
TCC 12.10.63 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]

If I invoke a REXX routine that fails to interpret for some reason, eg.

Code:
I:\websites\Badgers\new>albumcopy /2 /s SX3 . e:\
Error 35 running "D:\programs\bat\albumcopy.rex", line 1630: Invalid expression

then TCC keeps a file handle to the REXX source file such that I am unable to change it without closing the TCC instance to free the file. After the above failure I ran the SysInternals handle utility:

Code:
[C:\Windows\system32]d:\programs\sysinternals\handle D:\programs\bat\albumcopy.r
ex

Handle v3.45
Copyright (C) 1997-2011 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

tcc.exe            pid: 7552   type: File           35C: D:\programs\BAT\albumco
py.rex

TCC keeps a file handle to the REXX source file such that I am unable to change it without closing the TCC instance to free the file.

That would be a good trick -- TCC never opens the REXX file, so I would be exceedingly surprised if it's holding on to a handle! TCC passes the filename to the Regina RexxStart API, and all the file opens / reads / parsing / closes are done by REGINA.DLL.

Far more likely is that REGINA.DLL (running in the TCC.EXE process) is failing to close the file on an error.

Far more likely is that REGINA.DLL (running in the TCC.EXE process) is failing to close the file on an error
To help me to try and debug this issue, are you calling RexxStart or invoking the REXX routine via some other mechanism??