Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

F1 on command line The webpage cannot be found

Jul
F1 on the command line with an unknown command brings error, shouldn't it take you to the front page.
The webpage cannot be found
HTTP 404

Most likely causes:
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:

bullet.png
Retype the address.

bullet.png
Go back to the previous page.

bullet.png
Go to and look for the information you want.

More information

This error (HTTP 404 Not Found) means that this program was able to connect to the website, but the page you wanted was not found. It's possible that the webpage is temporarily unavailable. Alternatively, the website might have changed or removed the webpage.

On the command line, F1 should take you to the help page for the first word in the command or, if the command line is empty, to the overview. Both work here in v19 with local help or web help. But with v20, the first works while the second (empty command line) gives
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /help/.htm on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

With an unknown command and web help, either version, I get
upload_2016-7-31_20-21-13.png

This works the same in v19 (CHM help) and v20 (compiled web help) -- or for that matter in v13. In all cases it does *not* take you to overview (which IMO isn't apt to be particularly useful in this case), it just returns the error window.

The problem here is that unless I save the thousands of help topics inside TCC, there's no way for TCC to know whether you've entered a valid topic. Even if I lookup every command, internal variable, variable function, and command variable, I still can't tell if a plugin has help for that topic.

The surprise to me was: v20 ... web help checked ... empty command line ... F1 ... error