Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Everything Search Suggestion

Hi,

I think the EverythingSearch integration is awesome and I'll probably upgrade based on that alone (Regex tool also a nice touch -- nice job on V18).

Some suggestions for limitations of the everything search I noticed that would be nice to polish up:

I can type "everything E:\somepath\*somefile*" and it will find what I mean just fine. However, the location context could be improved. For example, if I'm on E:\whatever, I'd also naively expect "everything \somepath\*somefile*" to work, but it doesn't. Ditto if I'm already in E:\somepath, I can't do "everything .\*somefile*". Everything "*somefile*" will work, but the order of the returned results doesn't seem to care about the current context.

I realize all this gets you into parsing the path before you send it to everything, which may be problematic, but if you could do it the usability would improve a lot.

Hi,

I think the EverythingSearch integration is awesome and I'll probably upgrade based on that alone (Regex tool also a nice touch -- nice job on V18).

Some suggestions for limitations of the everything search I noticed that would be nice to polish up:

I can type "everything E:\somepath\*somefile*" and it will find what I mean just fine. However, the location context could be improved. For example, if I'm on E:\whatever, I'd also naively expect "everything \somepath\*somefile*" to work, but it doesn't. Ditto if I'm already in E:\somepath, I can't do "everything .\*somefile*". Everything "*somefile*" will work, but the order of the returned results doesn't seem to care about the current context.

I realize all this gets you into parsing the path before you send it to everything, which may be problematic, but if you could do it the usability would improve a lot.

That would involve TCC prepending the current directory to the search string ... and that would break 99% if Everything Search's capability.

http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/searching/

Indeed. I'm running TCC 13.03.38, and the Everything tool, along with Kedit, Total Commander, and TCC, are my essential go-to utilities. I haven't upgraded TCC in five years, because to be honest, it already does everything I need (and then some). I never even considered the idea of Everything integration.

I've written REXX scripts in Kedit to shell to TCC to run the ES command line interface to Everything. The TCC 18 version doesn't seem to offer a whole lot more than the ES.EXE version, but integrating it will make it a lot easier to code than messing with tail, head, and the like.

Kudos to Rex for this.

I've just upgraded to v18, and this is the first I've heard of "Everything". Trying it now for a few days, and I have a (dumb?) problem. It only works (the way I hoped it would work!) after I launch the program everything.exe. Some background: I use TCC in a TCMD window (but only the TCC window visible - why? the TCMD window allows me to have many instances of TCC open in one window, so it keeps my desk "clean", but allows for easy switching between TCC windows). I used to switch directories using the fuzzycd=3 setting in the following way: if I typed "directory\", and that directory wasn't in the current folder, then it would pop up for me the dialogue allowing me to choose among the possible such directories and take me there quickly. It worked a charm, and I had rather hoped the switch to "everything" wouldn't get in the way. But now, upon opening TCMD, that doesn't work ... *until* I launch the actual "everything.exe" program, after which I have my old behaviour back again. I tried a number of ways around this, but only that seems effective. This is annoying - but not a deal breaker! - and if anyone can point out what I might be doing wrong (or expecting without cause), that would be great. If there's another way to regain my old behaviour, that would be a good tip too.

PS - searching in this forum for "everything" is a lost cause! Sorry if this is the wrong thread!

I've just upgraded to v18, and this is the first I've heard of "Everything". Trying it now for a few days, and I have a (dumb?) problem. It only works (the way I hoped it would work!) after I launch the program everything.exe.
That's right. The Everything service does not index the NTFS drives; it only allows "service clients" to be started without a UAC prompt. So, if you want it always available you have 2 options.
1. Run the service and a "service client"
2. Don't run the service, and run everything.exe elevated (with UAC prompt)
Whichever you choose, you can get it to happen automatically via the Everything options dialog.

There's a discussion that may interest you in the "Support" forum, here: https://jpsoft.com/forums/threads/using-everything.6789/

That's right. The Everything service does not index the NTFS drives; it only allows "service clients" to be started without a UAC prompt. So, if you want it always available you have 2 options.
1. Run the service and a "service client"
2. Don't run the service, and run everything.exe elevated (with UAC prompt)
Whichever you choose, you can get it to happen automatically via the Everything options dialog.

There's a discussion that may interest you in the "Support" forum, here: https://jpsoft.com/forums/threads/using-everything.6789/

Many thanks - setting the option to automatically start the service seems to have done the trick. Ah ... just like the old days with the 4DOS users group on USENET ... (and I do remember you, Vince, being so helpful back then too!)

-= rags =-