Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Everything search doesn't work

Nov
I just installed TCC 28 and during the installation, I installed the Everything search tool as a windows service.

I tried to do searches from the command line with: everything <filename> and it returns no results, even though the file I'm searching for is in the current directory.

I verified the Everything service is in the "running" state.

Any idea on what's going on?

Might need to build the everything index. Have you:

Code:
everything /B

I tried it, it appeared to do nothing. Just returns to the command line prompt immediately. Same as if I do:

everything <filename>

Just returns to the command line without printing out anything.

Is the service running (check with services.msc)? Do you also have a user-mode instance of everything.exe running?

If you search these forums for posts with "service" and "client" by me (vefatica) you should get several hits about Everything. If I remember correctly the best way to use it was to have the service running and also an unelevated "client" instance (everything.exe -startup) for unelevated apps (like TCC) to communicate with. Those posts are 2-3 years old. In those days, I don't think an installation did everything needed for it to work right out of the box. I haven't messed wih it since then so I can't comment on today's situation.

I have the Everything service running as well as a process for it. I'll try searching as you suggested.

process.png

That one appears to be the service. You need a second one, a user-mode one, because TCC can't talk to a service. CDD to TCC's directory and try everything.exe -startup.

That works, thanks for the tip. How do I get that to run automatically? Is it supposed to run when I open a TCC window or at windows startup? Or does the -startup option make it run at startup so I shouldn't have to worry about it?

The -startup option simply means to start the "client server". I use a login script so I used to start it there. I'm pretty sure you can put a shortcut to it in here (that's where I have a shortcut to my login BTM)

Code:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

I suppose you could also put a value/data pair in

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

For example, a REG_SZ value named Everything and with the data "<drive>:\<path>\everything.exe" -startup

I added that to the registry. But shouldn't this be part of the TCC install? I'm not sure why I had to go to all this trouble when it should have just worked out of the box.

I don't know, @Jeff. This was hashed out 5-6 years ago and from what I learned today, little has changed. I haven't used Everything since then and it hasn't been much of a conversation topic in the forums. But I have to wonder ... does it work right out of the box for anyone? And if it's not meant to work right out of the box, are there any instructions in the help?

And its capabilities are pretty amazing. See http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/searching/

After restarting my system, and upon launching TCMD, I also cannot use Everything Search.

My solution, after TCMD has been started, is to do a one-time manual execution of;
Code:
everything /e

Once that window has opened, and the list has populated, I can close the window, and use everything and @everything from TCC.

Tasklist shows the following on my system for Everything.exe;
Code:
 4268      6807552  Everything        "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD28\Everything.exe" -svc
19092    198893568  Everything        "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD28\EVERYTHING.EXE"  -nocase -noww -nomatchpath -noregex -s *

Total of 2 processes

The suggestion from @vefatica is new to me, so I may try it.

Joe
Code:
     _x64: 1
   _admin: 1
_elevated: 1

TCC  28.02.16 x64   Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19043.1320]

In Tools > Options > General, I check "Start Everything on system startup" and "Everything Service". In In Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS, I select my disk ("Local NTFS volumes) and make sure "Include in database", "Enable USN Journal", and "Monitor changes" are checked.

The Take Command installer used to mess this up, but was doing better recently, except perhaps the most-recent update.

In Tools > Options > General, I check "Start Everything on system startup" and "Everything Service". In In Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS, I select my disk ("Local NTFS volumes) and make sure "Include in database", "Enable USN Journal", and "Monitor changes" are checked.

The Take Command installer used to mess this up, but was doing better recently, except perhaps the most-recent update.
Hey @David Marcus, thankyou for those instructions!

I implemented them just as you indicated, rebooted my system, and now when I start TCMD, Everything works as it should, without my having to do a Everything /E first.

Tasklist now returns;
Code:
e:\utils>tasklist /lm everything
 4532      7122944  Everything        "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD28\EVERYTHING.EXE" -svc
15216    196362240  Everything        "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD28\Everything.exe" -startup

Total of 2 processes
...which I believe is what @vefatica instructed a few posts back.

Joe

I can't find Tools. I only use the TCC command line replacement, not Take Command. The only reference to Everything in the OPTION dialog of TCC refers to using it for fuzzy directory searches.

Maybe that's the problem, that most people install Take Command but I only installed TCC and JPSoft hasn't paid enough attention to the TCC only install.

I will say though, I do love the product and I'm happy I've got Everything working. I don't like the windows search for some reason, and usually I just use grep to find files. I upgraded from TCC v9 from 2008, but I started using it back when it was called 4NT, around version 4.

@Jeff, those options are in the Everything window.

From TCC, type;
Code:
Everything /E
...which should open up the Everything Search Dialog.

Then follow what @David Marcus instructed.

Joe

Thanks! That works. I looked into how it was running at startup and it's using HKLM\...\Run instead of HKCU\...\Run. But same idea, anyway. I removed my registry changes and just let the Everything UI deal with it.