Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ESC after recalling a command from history

May
A few versions ago, I requested that after ESC(aping) a recalled (Up) from the history the next recall start at the end of the history. I think that was implemented. But if the recalled command is morified before ESC is pressed, then the next recall starts at the history entry before it.

Examples:

1. Press <Up> any number of times, then press <Esc>. Pressing <Up> again starts at the end of the history. That's s good.

2. If the last three history entries are:
Code:
echo a
echo b
echo c
and I <Up>, <Up> to recall "echo b" ... then <BS> to erase "b" ... then <Esc> ... then <Up>, "echo a" is recalled. I can't think of a reason why one would want that behavior. IMHO, History recall should always start at the bottom when the command line is empty.

WAD (and that's the way I like to use it). When I delete a line, I almost always want to continue from that point, not jumping back at the end and have to work my way back.

TCC isn't trying to guess whether you really meant to edit the line or not. If you changed something and then deleted the line, you still changed something.

WAD (and that's the way I like to use it). When I delete a line, I almost always want to continue from that point, not jumping back at the end and have to work my way back.

TCC isn't trying to guess whether you really meant to edit the line or not. If you changed something and then deleted the line, you still changed something.
I don't understand what you said. The behavior is different depending on whether you change the line or not before pressing <Esc>. What's the significance of making a change to the recalled line? Can you give an example of where the behavior is useful?