Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD /elevated failure...

May
Running TCMD with the /elevated parameter yields a message box "The parameter is incorrect. /elevated". Also right-clicking on the tcmd icon on the task bar (which how I normally used to start a TCMD session in administrative mode) no longer has a "Run as administrator" option.. I actually have found no way to delete files/directories from the "C:\Program Files (X86)". I am the first (and only) user on this Windows 7 machine.

Rex, "/Elevated" is an option of the start command in the help file (I just looked at it). "Start /Elevated /PGM TCMD.exe" yields :"The system can not find the file specified. /Elevated". And "Stare /PGM TCMD.exe /Elevated" yields "The system cannot find the file specified. /Elevated". And I have been right-clicking Take Command (from an icon pinned to the task bar) to select "Run as Administrator" for many years now. And just ignoring the previous two sentences, how do I start an elevated TCMD session?

Rex, "/Elevated" is an option of the start command in the help file (I just looked at it). "Start /Elevated /PGM TCMD.exe" yields :"The system can not find the file specified. /Elevated". And "Stare /PGM TCMD.exe /Elevated" yields "The system cannot find the file specified. /Elevated".

As I said, "/elevated" is an option of START, not TCMD. Your syntax should be:

START /elevated /PGM tcmd.exe

You can also start TCMD elevated by right clicking on its icon from Explorer and selecting "run as administrator".

Rex you didn't read what I wrote carefully enough - please look at it. 'Start /Elevated /PGM "TCMD.exe" does not work ("... cannot find the file specified. "/PGM") and "Run as administrator" no longer appears if I I right-click the "TCMD" icon on the task bar (to which it is pinned).

Rex you didn't read what I wrote carefully enough - please look at it. 'Start /Elevated /PGM "TCMD.exe" does not work ("... cannot find the file specified. "/PGM") and "Run as administrator" no longer appears if I I right-click the "TCMD" icon on the task bar (to which it is pinned).

This syntax definitely will start TCMD.EXE elevated:

start /elevated /pgm tcmd.exe

Provided that TCMD.EXE is in the current directory, and provided you're not running in a limited account with no UAC elevation privileges. (Actually the /PGM option is unnecessary unless you're passing a quoted filename, so you could just enter "start /elevated tcmd.exe" from a TCC prompt.)

"Run as administrator" is an Explorer option, not a taskbar option. A program pinned to the taskbar will not have that option unless you specifically create it for the jumplist.

Did you try right-clicking on the TCMD icon from File Explorer?

Well Rex we are at an impasse here; that command (I copied it from your reply and pasted it into a TCC window) yields (and I quote) 'TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified. (line feed) /elevated"' so it (no longer) works as documented (It definitely will not start TCMD elevated; see the screen shot enclosed is the attached .zip file) . And right-clicking the Take Command icon on the taskbar (to which it is pinned) no longer has the "Run as administrator" option (Just "Take Command" and "Unpin this program from the taskbar."; again look at the screen shot in the attached .zip file). This is brand-new behavior which started after the last set of Windows Updates (Windows 10 Pro). Obviously Windows Update "broke it", which is even more sensible given that this started immediately after a (rather-long) set of Windows Updates. The bottom line is that this absolutely "kills" me; I am totally unable to install a program into the "C:\Program Files (x86)" directory.

I will note that I used the longer format for the "Start" command (specifically the use of the /PGM keyword) as an attempt to get "Elevated" to work; it was not my habit to use that keyword in the past.

Update: From what you have said in this stream it appeared that "Start" is a native windows command rather than something being supplied by TCC. So I went into a native DOS command prompt and entered "Start /?" to get the native DOS help. Bottom line: there is no "/Elevated" parameter listed in the "help" display (again see attached .zip file). So you have nothing to do with it which leaves me up the creek without a paddle.

Rex I think you have four options here:

1. Update the documentation so that all references to the "/Elevated" parameter are deleted. (Quite a bit of work for you; issues with disseminating the updated documentation and problems with it being correct only for some version of Windows) and the least desirable from the user perspective).

2. Write you own version of the "Start" command (or equivalent). This assumes that there is a Windows API function that will elevate a process; if such an API does not exist (it must exist because "Install" programs are still able to elevate themselves) that's the end of the ball game.

3. Assuming that an "elevate" Windows API function exists add "/Elevated" as a keyword to the TCMD and/or TCC commands.

4. Persuade Microsoft to put the "/Elevated" parameter back on the "Start" command (the least amount of work for you if you have that much influence with Microsoft).

Attachments

• Native DOS Start Command Documentation.zip
    37 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I have the latest Windows 10 build here, and it works fine. The /Elevated option is internal to the TCC START command; it doesn't have anything to do with START in CMD. (The START in CMD does not support /elevated.)

What version of TCMD are you running? If it's an old one, it won't have the "/elevated" option.

It sounds like you may have an alias for START that is interfering with the command. Try running the command as:

Code:
*start /elevated tcmd.exe

The leading * will override an existing alias.

TCMD.EXE may not be in your search path. How about e.g.
Code:
start /elevated /pgm "%_cmdspec\..\tcmd.exe"

Rex you were correct, I did have an alias for "Start" (Start=*Start /PGM %$). However that doesn't explain the absence of the "Run as administrator" option when right-clicking on a program on the taskbar. (I didn't notice this right away because normally I right-click the program on the taskbar and select "Run as administrator".)

Unless you've created a custom jump list (i.e., with the JUMPLIST command in TCC), the right-click menu that appears when you click on the taskbar is displayed & processed by Windows, not TCMD. I have never seen a "run as administrator" option in that menu for any app. There has never been anything in TCMD to do that.

For pinned items, holding Shift when right clicking gives you the shortcut menu you're used to that includes the Run as administrator option. :)

Thank you TEA-Time, that restores the functionality that I was needing. I don't remember having to use the Shift key to get that option before and the menu that comes up when you use the Shift key when you right click has many more options than what I remember. However I am disabled and bad memory is my #1 disability.

No problem. :) Perhaps you're thinking of Vista or previous where shift wasn't required, and rather than pinning to the taskbar, there was the Quick Launch bar with normal shortcuts.