Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drag to BTM no longer works in Windows 8.1

Feb
Hi,

If I drag a don't care what object to a BTM file, directly or shortcut, that BTM should start wilt the dragged file as parameter %1. That worked fine under Windows NT4, 2000, XP, Vista, & en 8.

To day I have upgrade to Windows 8.1 and now, windows denies to start the BTM. If dragged to a BTM shortcut, the mouse cursor gets a "forbidden" icon.

How to tell Windows to do what I want. Any Idea why this is blocked?

Kind regards,
Ruud Uphoff

Do you have .BTM files associated with TCC.EXE ? (Only ouessing; I don't have Windows 8.1 handy at the moment.)

I have.
Code:
v:\> assoc .btm
.btm=TCC.Batch

v:\> ftype TCC.Batch
TCC.Batch="G:\TC15\TCC.EXE" /c "%1" %*

And, on Win7/32/SP1, I have no "drop on BTMfile" capability. Doesn't that capability require a special handler (as exists under "batfile" in the registry?

I have.
Code:
v:\> assoc .btm
.btm=TCC.Batch

v:\> ftype TCC.Batch
TCC.Batch="G:\TC15\TCC.EXE" /c "%1" %*

And, on Win7/32/SP1, I have no "drop on BTMfile" capability. Doesn't that capability require a special handler (as exists under "batfile" in the registry?

Given that association above, I added this (below, an actual REG file) to the TCC.Batch key. Now I can drop things on BTM files.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TCC.Batch\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

Thanks Vince!

YES! Upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 had (for don't know what reason) removed that key. Adding it from your reply has solved the problem.

Kind Regards,
Ruud Uphoff.

Thanks Vince!

YES! Upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 had (for don't know what reason) removed that key. Adding it from your reply has solved the problem.

Kind Regards,
Ruud Uphoff.
I would not expect that "DropHandler" key to be in "TCC.Batch" in the first place. TCCBATCH.BTM (which registers .BTM) doesn't put it there.

Given that association above, I added this (below, an actual REG file) to the TCC.Batch key. Now I can drop things on BTM files.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TCC.Batch\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

Could you explain to us dummies how you derived that long hex number?

It's **THE** Windows DropHandler's GUID. I saw it under "batfile" and again when I Googled for: drag drop ".pl".
The OP must have had that registry entry at one time. TCCBATCH.BTM doesn't create it. IIRC, it .BTM isn't associated with TCC, an installation will show a prompt (right?). Does the install package create the drop handler key?