Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DOS Devices, PSUBST, Windows 11?

May
Does PSUBST work in Windows 11? I tried it (elevated) and nothing was written in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices.

So I made several entries there like the ones from Windows 10 by hand, for example, value: "V:", type: REG_SZ, data: "\\??\d:\work" ... and restarted. The reg entries were still there but I had no substituted drives.

I use PSUBST every day with Windows 11. However, it will only work in an elevated session.
Why do you use it every day? Isn't it permanent?

As I said, I tried it many times, all elevated. Nothing was written to the registry (at least I saw nothing in RegEdit, after refresh and after restart). When I manually created the value/data pairs in "DOS Devices", they didn't work.

Why do you use it every day? Isn't it permanent?

As I said, I tried it many times, all elevated. Nothing was written to the registry (at least I saw nothing in RegEdit, after refresh and after restart). When I manually created the value/data pairs in "DOS Devices", they didn't work.

It's only permanent if you use the /P option. Also PSUBST will not write to the registry unless you use /P.

If you're using /P and not getting the registry change, you probably have something on your system that's blocking registry writes.

I wasn't using /P. But that was the least of my problems. After updating to Windows 11 ...

1. I could print a TXT file or a test page but neither Adobe or Firefox could print a PDF file.

2. I couldn't open a rather important password protected WINWORD file because it was "locked" by another user (?)

I'm back to Windows 10. Those two items and my permanent SUBSTs are working again.