Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD DO /S ... all dirs wind up in the history!

May
When I do this:
Code:
do f in /s * ( echos x )
every folder entered by DO winds up in the dirhistory list. I do have "Save directory on entry" checked but I wouldn't expect it to behave like that. "FOR /R" doesn't do that.

I raised the same issue relative to COPY /S in the past and was informed WAD. I would like the directory history to include only those directories that have been entered explicitly, via CD/CDD/PUSHD or via the "implied directory change" available at the command prompt. The issue for me is that I often do "copy /s /uf" from a directory which has hundreds of subdirectories, and they all end up in dirhist... making previously entered directories virtually invisible.
--
Steve

I don't recall that and it would seem that it no longer happens. It did not do it in this test.
Code:
copy /s /u /f p:\4Utils\* v:\4utilscopy\

When I do this:
Code:
do f in /s * ( echos x )
every folder entered by DO winds up in the dirhistory list. I do have "Save directory on entry" checked but I wouldn't expect it to behave like that. "FOR /R" doesn't do that.

WAD (and unavoidable) when "Save directory on entry" is set. (One of the reasons I really didn't want to offer that option.)

The only way around it is a substantial parser rewrite; IMO it isn't worth the considerable effort and risk involved.

WAD (and unavoidable) when "Save directory on entry" is set. (One of the reasons I really didn't want to offer that option.)

The only way around it is a substantial parser rewrite; IMO it isn't worth the considerable effort and risk involved.
Really too bad. If it's not a bug, it's poor design. I've suggested it be changed in a future version. I am stuck with a hard-to-use dirhistory list (corrupted, IMHO) until I manually clean it out.

Vince,
If you are executing that DO command from the command line, there aren't many workarounds. But if you are doing it from within a batch script, you can save your dirhistory to a file prior to executing the command and then restore it afterwards.

Of course, you could do that from the command line too. It's just more of a PITA.

Rex,

Does this issue only happen when "Save directory on entry" is set? If so, can't you temporarily just turn that option off?

Really too bad. If it's not a bug, it's poor design. I've suggested it be changed in a future version. I am stuck with a hard-to-use dirhistory list (corrupted, IMHO) until I manually clean it out.

IMO it's not a poor design; it's a poor decision by a few users to demand that feature (and all its myriad associated problems) be added to an existing long-standing design that has no provision for it.

(You can bolt your lawnmower to your car, but it's probably not fair to then complain that your car does a lousy job mowing the lawn ...)

IMO it's not a poor design; it's a poor decision by a few users to demand that feature (and all its myriad associated problems) be added to an existing long-standing design that has no provision for it.

(You can bolt your lawnmower to your car, but it's probably not fair to then complain that your car does a lousy job mowing the lawn ...)
We users are not familiar with the limitations imposed by the long-standing design. From our point of view (I hope I speak for others) the request seems quite reasonable.

I added a dreadful hack (for DO only). I can't do anything about the general issue until I have a couple of weeks to rewrite the parser.
I don't see it as general. FOR /R and COPY /s don't do it. Where else can it happen?