Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD DIR /B1 and /X

samintz

Scott Mintz
May
When used together, the /X switch overrides the /B1 switch.

If I want a relative path listing of SFN files, there doesn't appear to be a way to do it.

Also, the PDIR documentation references a /X switch under the /B description. But returned an error when I attempted to use it. So I assume that is a documentation cut & paste error.

When used together, the /X switch overrides the /B1 switch.

If I want a relative path listing of SFN files, there doesn't appear to be a way to do it.

WAD - many switches do not work in combination with /X. (And never will, since /X is 99.999% obsolete anyway, and will hopefully disappear soon. Why on earth do you actually want to use it???)

If you really, really want to see incomprehensible mangled filenames, you can use PDIR with the "fN" option.

WAD - many switches do not work in combination with /X. (And never will, since /X is 99.999% obsolete anyway, and will hopefully disappear soon. Why on earth do you actually want to use it???)
The actual operation is acceptable, but differences between operation and documentation are BUGS - you decide which is correct, code or documentation, and change (or delegate someone else to change) the incorrect one.

If you really, really want to see incomprehensible mangled filenames, you can use PDIR with the "fN" option.
I did use pdir/(fN) to test possibilities, just to verify that - according to my understanding - the OP in the Converting to 8.3 thread wanted to do something not possible through a command processor, unless some accessible Windows API allows to assign a specific LFN to an SFN. Other than verifying that copying a single set of LFNs to different versions of Windows will often assign different sets of SFNs I had no interest in the SFNs. The discrepancy between code and documentation Scott mentioned above did not affect me.