Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

debugger keeps crashing

Jun
I'm trying to use the debugger from the TCC window. The debug window will be created, but quite frequently (but not always), as soon as I hit the start button, I get a window that says, "Take Command IDE/Debugger has stopped working," and when I click the close button, the debugger window closes and I'm back to the command prompt in my original TCC window. What's going on? Why can't I debug my batch files? I never had this problem when I was using the (ancient, but rock-solid) 4nt6.

Environment: TCC 15.01.52 on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (6.1.7601)

Note: I tried this in a TC window, and it worked fine, although I only tried it twice.

Note 2: Why is it that the command window - either the complete TCC window or the tab from which I executed the command in the TC window) always get cleared when the debugger IDE window gets created? Just curious.

Note 2: Why is it that the command window - either the complete TCC window or the tab from which I executed the command in the TC window) always get cleared when the debugger IDE window gets created? Just curious.

Here, Win7/32, the screen is cleared (actually scrolled until it's empty) when I start debugging, not when the IDE window is created. That seems reasonable to that output from a debug session will appear in a fresh screen.

Here, Win7/32, the screen is cleared (actually scrolled until it's empty) when I start debugging, not when the IDE window is created. That seems reasonable to that output from a debug session will appear in a fresh screen.

It's not a big deal, and not the main point of my original post, but that seemed strange to me. If I wanted it to clear the screen, I would have put that in the script. Maybe there is something in the window that I wanted to see while running my batch file.

OK, skip that... Any ideas about the debugger (or IDE) crashes?

It's not a big deal, and not the main point of my original post, but that seemed strange to me. If I wanted it to clear the screen, I would have put that in the script. Maybe there is something in the window that I wanted to see while running my batch file.

OK, skip that... Any ideas about the debugger (or IDE) crashes?
Does the crash dialog give the opportunity to see more information? Often it offers to send a report to Microsoft and lets you view the contents. That information, if available, could be helpful to Rex in pinning down the fault.

Does the crash dialog give the opportunity to see more information? Often it offers to send a report to Microsoft and lets you view the contents. That information, if available, could be helpful to Rex in pinning down the fault.

Nope, nothing. After I click the Close Window button, it's gone and I'm back to my TCC window prompt.

I cannot reproduce that here.

The IDE uses the Windows Error Reporting module to create the error reports. If you're not seeing that window (from your description, it sounds like you are not) then it's probably being generated by the Windows loader (which is happening before any of the debugger code starts running). Can you post a screenshot of the popup you are seeing?

This is most likely a problem with an injected third-party dll -- if you're running anything like that (screen managers, antivirus, etc.) you might try disabling them temporarily and see if the debugger works.

Back again... I hadn't needed to debug any batch files for a while, so I wasn't reproducing it. Here is a screen shot of what I see.

Attachments

• debugger stopped working.png
    debugger stopped working.png
    532.5 KB · Views: 231