Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

create an alias with optional parameter

Jun
I'm trying to create a simple alias that calls a program with the parameter(s) passed to it, after massaging them slightly. The first parameter is required, and the second is optional. If the second is not supplied, I want to take the first parameter, use just its filename, and prepend the _cwd. Both parameters must be properly quoted, if needed, and both must be full paths, not relative.

Here is what I created, but it doesn't work if the second isn't supplied, complaining about not being able to find %2 that won't exist. In other words, it's not doing short-circuit evaluation, because it shouldn't need to do the second part of the @if because the conditional evaluates true. How do I change this to work properly?

RichCopy="c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Rich Tools\RichCopy 4.0\RichCopy.exe" %@quote[%@full[%1]] %@if[%# == 1,%@quote[%_cwd\%@filename[%1]],RichCopy %1 %@full[%2]]

Last edited:
Aliases don't do short circuit evaluation. They evaluate the entire command line at once. Press Ctrl-F after typing your command line (before pressing ENTER) and you will see what is being executed.

Create a function that does the substitution for you.
Code:
function foo=%%@if[%%2.==.,%%1,%%2]
echo %@foo[1,2] %@foo[1]
2 1

Then your alias becomes:
Code:
alias RC=RichCopy "%%1" "%%@foo[%%1,%%2]"

Thanks, Scott! I didn't know that aliases didn't perform short circuit evaluation.

Here is my alias and companion function that works in all of the test cases I tried (as copied from my .als and .fns files):

RichCopy="c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Rich Tools\RichCopy 4.0\RichCopy.exe" %@quote[%@full[%1]] %@quote[%@if[%# == 1,%@quote[%_cwd\%@filename[%1]],%@full[%@Maybe2nd[%1,%2]]]]

Maybe2nd=%@if[%2.==.,%1,%2]

I think you're over complicating it.
Code:
function qfull=%@quote[%@full[%1]]
RichCopy="c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Rich Tools\RichCopy 4.0\RichCopy.exe" %@qfull[%1] %@qfull[%@Maybe2nd[%1 %2]]

As far as I know, quoting all your file names doesn't hurt anything. So you could shorten it by removing @quote and just use quotes.
Code:
RichCopy="c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Rich Tools\RichCopy 4.0\RichCopy.exe" "%@full[%1]" "%@full[%@Maybe2nd[%1 %2]]"

BTW - You will run into an issue if the file names you are using have spaces in them.
Code:
echo %@Maybe2nd[hello world.txt, foo bar.txt]
world.txt