Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Console colors

Jun
@all (no CR, no case; just a question)

Is there any possibility to change tcc'.s colors aside from the the standard paths (i.e. via the "Properties, Colors" menu rsp. "tcmd.ini")?

I'd like "Bright Blue" (i.e. 0,0,255) to be somewhat lighter than the standard w/o affecting the other colors (in Linux there's a tool that allows you to do that). Yes, I know that Windows is not Linux, I just wonder if s.o. might possibly be aware of a solution.

p.s. Sorry for posting this here, but I saw no other thread where this might fit in.

nickles

> Is there any possibility to change tcc'.s colors aside from the the
> standard paths (i.e. via the "Properties, Colors" menu rsp.
> "tcmd.ini")?
>
> I'd like "Bright Blue" (i.e. 0,0,255) to be somewhat lighter than the
> standard w/o affecting the other colors (in Linux there's a tool that
> allows you to do that). Yes, I know that Windows is not Linux, I just
> wonder if s.o. might possibly be aware of a solution.

Google for "Windows console color palette"; there are several utilities out
there to do this.

@rconn

Thx, I will give that a try (do you see any chance of implementing a functionality like this?).

<unknown>nickles</unknown>

> Thx, I will give that a try (do you see any chance of implementing a
> functionality like this?).

I'll add it to the suggestion list, but (1) given the number of existing
(free) solutions, and (2) the fact that even the relatively few users who'd
want this would only use it once or twice, it will probably fall short of
being considered a compelling new feature.

Rex Conn
JP Software

@rconn

Thanks for considering it!

Meanwhile I've found a relatively easy way to handle the "problem" for me. The palette values are stored in the following Registry locations (REG_DWORDs):

HKCU\Console\ColorTable[nn]<nn> (user's default)
HKCU\Console\[console_name]<console>\ColorTable[nn]<nn> (specific console's default).

Here [nn] <nn> corresponds to the number of the color in the Console menu's color well.

For anyone interested, my - slightly modified - color settings are as follows:</nn></nn></console></nn>

Attachments

• nickles.reg.txt
    1,015 bytes · Views: 216
I actually wrote a program which handles console palettes, and lets user edit and load different palettes. You can get this from:

You can even make this work with Console2 (a multi-tab control which can run multiple consoles), via a command-line switch.

You should be aware, however, that none of these programs work with Windows Vista or Windows 7 !! I'm using Win7 now, and the only way I can get the palette changes is to use Console2, which sets colors from its own tables.