Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Color directories in Win10 build 10586 console

Oct
I just installed the major Windows 10 November update, and there's a problem with TCC color directories in a console window. Background colors seem to spill into the next line. It's hard to describe, so I'll attach a screen cap.

I've been using Win10 since July with no such problem so it's not a fault in TCC. This was one of the benefits of the latest iteration from Microsoft. :smile:

Captured002.jpg

What does your COLORDIR look like?

I'll attach a readable version of the COLORDIR configuration.

I haven't made any changes in years and it worked fine until yesterday's Win10 update.

ColorDir=
DIRS:cya;
SYSTEM:mag;
HIDDEN:yel;
BAT BTM COM CMD EXE:bri yel;
ZIP AR[C,K,J] BZ2 LZH TGZ GZ RAR RPM WPI:bri red;
BMP DCX GIF ICO JPE JPG JPEG PCX PNG PSD TGA TIF XPM:bri mag;
ASF ASX AVI MKV MOV MP4 MPG QT RAM RM WMV:bri blu;
ASX PLS:whi on bri blu;
AC3 AU FAR MID MOD MP2 MP3 RA S3M SND WAV XM:bri cya;
ASP CGI HTM HTML ?HTML:bla on whi;
PDF:red on whi;
BAK OLD:bri yel on yel;
ARCHIVE:bri whi;
RDONLY:bri gre;

I found I can make color directories work as they did previously by selecting "Use legacy console" in the window properties.

Using your COLORDIR and with the November Windows 10 update (x64), I cannot reproduce your problem here. It may be a video driver issue -- have you checked to see if there is a driver update for your video card?

I have DIR aliased to use the FAT format because I use file descriptions extensively. In fact I have several aliases for DIR, but no matter which options I use, the colors spill where they shouldn't be.

I have a Radeon R7 370 graphics card with 4 GB of RAM and it has the latest driver. I just reinstalled the driver to be sure, but the directory background colors are still bleeding.

When I uncheck the "Use legacy console" and restart the console, the first couple of times I use DIR, the colors are fine, but after three or four times the background starts spilling. With "Use legacy console" checked, there is no problem, except I can't use the new enhancements, which may be no loss.

The problem started after the Windows update. I had never seen anything similar with the July edition build 10240. I wish I'd stayed with Windows 7. Windows 10 has been one problem after another.

It's not the worst thing to disable the new console features, as almost everything is already done (better) in TCMD & TCC.

That said, I am not able to reproduce the issue here (tried it on three machines, two Nvidia & one Radeon). Do you have ANSI enabled?

Anybody else seeing this?

It's not the worst thing to disable the new console features, as almost everything is already done (better) in TCMD & TCC.
Do you have ANSI enabled?

I'm using code page 437 in the console window. I don't know anything about enabling or disabling ANSI nowadays. I think long ago we had to put ansi.sys in the config.sys file.

I'm using code page 437 in the console window. I don't know anything about enabling or disabling ANSI nowadays. I think long ago we had to put ansi.sys in the config.sys file.
ANSI in built-in in TCC. Enable/disable it via TCC's options dialog.

ANSI in built-in in TCC. Enable/disable it via TCC's options dialog.

Thanks. I'd never spotted that, but it wasn't enabled. Enabling or disabling ANSI has no effect on the spilling background colors.

I'll just live with it for the time being. I'll be replacing my motherboard before Christmas. I already have a new ASUS Gryphon board that I'll be installing, along with a new PSU. Maybe that will fix the problem... or maybe not. :)

I believe this reminds me some old behavior in the consoles: when writing to the last character of the last row, the console scrolled and inserted a new row in the color of this last character of last row.
I wrote a small test BTM with DO's, ECHOS, ECHO., COLOR, ECHO ^e[…, but could not reproduce this color spill.