I reported two problems, apparently. One was that the update didn't appear to be downloading the update - it just fails. The second was that the downloaded full install seems to be 28.01.14. It could be that I have a caching problem. However, my first try to update was from the original 28 (whatever that was). When I couldn't get the update to work, I downloaded the full installer (for the very first time since July when I did the initial install of 28). I named this download tcmd-28_02_15.exe because that's what I expected it to be, and ran it. When I started Take Command after the install, it claimed to be 28.01.14 (a change from what it had been, but not what I expected). I then tried multiple times to download and install the full installer. Each time it was identical in size, and running it gave the "do you want to repair or remove" dialog, indicating that it was trying to install the same version.
It might help if JPsoft named the download file with a name that includes the version rather than just tcmd.exe. Then I could be sure it wasn't a caching issue.