Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CD with wildcards

May
This works with CMD and I'm pretty sure it worked with TCC in the past. I'm running 14.02.41 and just noticed it doesn't work. I don't have older builds to try.

Can anyone else confirm?

CD has never accepted wildcards in TCC (or 4NT, or 4DOS.) I'm pretty sure that's by design; nondeterminate changes to the current directory are useless and dangerous.

In a batch file perhaps. At an interactive command prompt it's kind of nice, although in reality it only saves one keypress (TAB).

You're aware that you can omit the CD command itself, right? That'll save you three keystrokes: the CD, and the following space.

This is WAD; IMO the CMD behavior of "switch to the random first matching directory, even if there are multiple possibilities, and don't give me any options to select anything else" is ... well, really dumb. And it would mean that you couldn't use TCC's (far more powerful and flexible) fuzzy directory matching.

You're aware that you can omit the CD command itself, right? That'll save you three keystrokes: the CD, and the following space.
Yep. But I use CMD quite often as I work on many systems that do not have TCC installed. I don't use that syntax as it obviously doesn't work on CMD.

This is WAD; IMO the CMD behavior of "switch to the random first matching directory, even if there are multiple possibilities, and don't give me any options to select anything else" is ... well, really dumb. And it would mean that you couldn't use TCC's (far more powerful and flexible) fuzzy directory matching.
Fair enough. Thanks for the replies!

Back