Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

can start TakeCommand 15.01 on Windows XP

(This post is related to a similar issue that I reported for TCCLE here http://jpsoft.com/forums/threads/tccle-and-windows-xp.4958/)
I installed TakeCommand 15.01 on the same Windows XP machine. Setup was OK, but TakeCommand can't start.
At the end of the installation, with the view Readme File dialog in the background, I got an Explorer (?) Move dialog that said, "Select the place where you want to move '\URLA5' then click the move button." which I did and found a new URL shortcut pointing to http://jpsoft.com/on-install-take-command.html. Then I clicked on Run Take Command and got tcmd.exe - Application Error. The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d). Click OK to terminate the application. I had to click twice to dismiss the dialog. Tried to run TakeCommand again and got exactly the same error message, and had to click twice to dismiss it.

The Application Event log includes the above error messages, and also two messages from MsiInstaller saying "Product: Take Command 15.01 -- Installation completed successfully."

What I notice about the specific PC where all this is happening is that it runs a disk protection sofware called Deep Freeze, which I'm not familiar with, and Internet Explorer 8.

Is it possible that you installed into a directory to which you do not have execute access? I have no trouble (in a Windows login with administrator privileges) starting any version of 4nt or tcc, from RUN, from shortcut icons or their hotkeys, or TCC command prompt. OS: WinXP Pro SP3 (32b).

Oh, try to disable Deep Freeze - "protective" software often protects you from using your own tools! Many builds of various versions of TCC.EXE were falsely detected by AVG as viruses, often a build giving false alarm, while immediately previous and subsequent builds did not. BTW, reports to AVG that it was a false alarm were always ignored, I had to manually add TCC to the "safe" list. While I don't blame antivirus software makers for occasional false alarms (it would be impossible for them to test every build of every program in the whole world, and all they can test for is patterns in code), but I do blame them for failing to respond to the false alarm reports.

Steve, I would disable Deep Freeze if I could but it's password-protected. Anyway, I tried downgrading TakeCommand until I found a version that can run on this PC. Version 14.03.59 can. None of the 15.00 and 15.01 series that I have available can. I tried as far back as version 15.00.14.

Steve, I would disable Deep Freeze if I could but it's password-protected. Anyway, I tried downgrading TakeCommand until I found a version that can run on this PC. Version 14.03.59 can. None of the 15.00 and 15.01 series that I have available can. I tried as far back as version 15.00.14.
Rex, if you're reading this, could you please confirm my conjecture of what's going on with this PC. It's an Athlon XP CPU and it doesn't implement the SSE2 instruction set, just SSE1. Do more recently compiled TakeCommand versions require SSE2 support? That would explain why this PC fails running TakeCommand with exception code 0xc000001d (illegal instruction). On the internet I found many forum posts that report this kind of issue for various products.