Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Build 13.0.24 installer

May
The new installer added the same unwanted .lnk files as previous one. Under WinXP SP3 home the TCCLE installer added a quick launch link, and it as well as the TCMD installer added their shortcuts into the "all users" start menu.

The installers were downloaded from the FTP site, and started from a TCC 12 instance. The TCMD installer required TCC 12 to be stopped - why? The TCCLE installer had no such issues.
--
Steve

> The new installer added the same unwanted .lnk files as previous one.
> Under WinXP SP3 home the TCCLE installer added a quick launch link,
> and it as well as the TCMD installer added their shortcuts into the "all
> users" start menu.

Those are selectable during installation.

> The installers were downloaded from the FTP site, and started from a
> TCC 12 instance. The TCMD installer required TCC 12 to be stopped -
> why? The TCCLE installer had no such issues.

They share some common dll's, which cannot be replaced without either
stopping the other app or restarting the system.

| Quote:
|| The new installer added the same unwanted .lnk files as previous one.
|| Under WinXP SP3 home the TCCLE installer added a quick launch link,
|| and it as well as the TCMD installer added their shortcuts into the
|| "all users" start menu.
|
| Those are selectable during installation.

I did not select them to be created.

| Quote:
|| The installers were downloaded from the FTP site, and started from a
|| TCC 12 instance. The TCMD installer required TCC 12 to be stopped -
|| why? The TCCLE installer had no such issues.
|
| They share some common dll's, which cannot be replaced without either
| stopping the other app or restarting the system.

But the installation is into a different directory (even if the DLL happens to be loaded)! The V12 versions should NOT be replaced anyway!
--
Steve

> I did not select them to be created.

Not reproducible here.

> But the installation is into a different directory (even if the DLL
happens

> to be loaded)! The V12 versions should NOT be replaced anyway!

It doesn't matter what the directory is, only that the dll is in memory.

I'm sure if you pen a stiff note of protest to Microsoft, they'll take swift
action to change their architecture!

|| But the installation is into a different directory (even if the DLL
|| happens to be loaded)! The V12 versions should NOT be replaced anyway!
|
| It doesn't matter what the directory is, only that the dll is in
| memory.

You mean that if some process is loaded which uses a DLL with a specific name (in the sense @FILENAME returns it), no application can be installed which uses a DLL with the same name, even if the two DLL-s have nothing else in common, for example, TakeCmd.dll for V6 and V13? Or do the two DLLs need to have more in common, e.g., version info, which is the same for many 3rd party DLLs of V12 and V13?

| I'm sure if you pen a stiff note of protest to Microsoft, they'll take swift
| action to change their architecture!

I suspect we are dealing only with installer architecture, not OS. When a product is to be installed into a new directory, nothing else on the system should be relevant.
--
Steve

I always keep TCC in a "System" subfolder in my Start Menu. I explicitly deselect "Desktop", "Start Menu Programs folder", and "Startup folder" when I install, but it still puts a shortcut in the root of the Start Menu. To be fair, I assume that's not what it means by "Start Menu Programs folder", but I should have an option not to create the root shortcut either. A peeve of mine is software that puts itself wherever it wants without asking me.

I always keep TCC in a "System" subfolder in my Start Menu. I explicitly deselect "Desktop", "Start Menu Programs folder", and "Startup folder" when I install, but it still puts a shortcut in the root of the Start Menu. To be fair, I assume that's not what it means by "Start Menu Programs folder", but I should have an option not to create the root shortcut either. A peeve of mine is software that puts itself wherever it wants without asking me.

WAD. The "Start Menu Programs Folder" option refers to a folder created within the start menu.

The shortcuts created at the top of the Start menu cannot be selected / deselected (Windows Installer problem). So if I want to offer that option (which most users *do* want, I have to always create it, and the few users who don't want it remove it manually after installation.