Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BTM file hoses logon session

May
During and after the running of this BTM file, my logon session is hosed! Explorer barely works. A "^C" appears in the console and an unrelated BTM starts. Caps-lock comes on. Many apps are unresponsive, including TCC. Things stay this way after killing TCC from TaskMgr. All I can do to get things working right is logoff/logon.
Code:
v:\> type hoser.btm
do i=1 to 100
  delay /m 100
  keystack %_do_loop
enddo

This hardly seems surprising, given that you're injecting every possible control character into the keyboard buffer.

Since this isn't remotely useful, I assume this wasn't your purpose. What did you actually want to do?
The effects are so drastic that it shouldn't be allowed.

Here's what I wanted to do (suggestions welcome) ...

... start firefox (home page is Google) and measure how long it takes before keystrokes are accepted in the Google search box

Perhaps you intended to double-quote the keystack argument?

Well, I didn't intend to ... but I should have! :mad:

I'm trying to figure out why Google's homepage loads slowly at FireFox startup. I did get my test working (with double quotes) and measured it ... 3.3 seconds before the search box accepts input. This only happens with the Google home page, only with FireFox, and only when FireFox is starting (with Google as its default page or specified on its command line). It's fast (0.8 sec) with IE, with any other web page, and even with the Google page if FireFox is already running (and then even with DDE). I see a ~1.8 second pause in network activity when this happens but I can't make any sense of it.

Vince do you clear your browser cache? Have all the latest updates?

I'm trying to figure out why Google's homepage loads slowly at FireFox startup. I did get my test working (with double quotes) and measured it ... 3.3 seconds before the search box accepts input. This only happens with the Google home page, only with FireFox, and only when FireFox is starting (with Google as its default page or specified on its command line). It's fast (0.8 sec) with IE, with any other web page, and even with the Google page if FireFox is already running (and then even with DDE). I see a ~1.8 second pause in network activity when this happens but I can't make any sense of it.
With an update to FireFox 29, this is no longer a problem.

I see you no longer have the problem, but might I suggest using the "Firefox Start Page" instead of google.com? It is an internal resource so loads instantly. There is a google search text box on the start page so you can qucikly/easily do a google search from there.