Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Bad behavior in copy /S

Nov
I've been using this product since the days of MS-DOS 3. I've always found a command line to be more sensible not subject to the weird dumbing-down of the Windows GUI shell for things like copying a directory and expecting it to just do exactly what I asked.

But yesterday I tried copying a whole drive to a removable drive for backing it up, and got some funny result. I'm getting page after page of this error:

TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
"E:\G\Application CDs\Visual Studio 2003\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\localize\old-XP"
"E:\G\Application CDs\Visual Studio 2003\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\localize\data\old-XP"
"E:\G\Application CDs\Visual Studio 2003\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\localize\flags\old-XP"
"E:\G\Application CDs\Visual Studio 2003\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\localize\i18n\old-XP"
"E:\G\Application CDs\Visual Studio 2003\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\localize\i18n\cs\old-XP"
"E:\G\Application CDs\Visual Studio 2003\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\QuickStart\aspplus\samples\localize\i18n\js\old-XP"​

where every directory it encounters during its /S scan is followed by "old-XP" and then not found. Nothing is being copied.

The last thing it did copy was
E:\G\old-XP System Cassini\Program Files\Home Automation\​
and started goofing off apparently on the next sibling directory to that.

VER tells me:

TCC LE 13.04.63 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
TCC LE Build 63 Windows 7 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
The command I issued was:
copy . x: /s /H /Q​

What happened?
—John

Another thought, maybe the error message really refers to an issue with the target path as opposed to the source path.
Does the target file full path length exceed some system limit?

I looked at the Help page again (type "copy" and press F1), and on closer examination see the expanded meaning of /N. Maybe the blue summary table at the top can show that /N takes another optional character. Especially for people who have used it for years and "know" all the commands!

The directory I'm copying doesn't have junctions; but I'll double-check.

The target is also NTFS, and an error opening the dest file would not then make the source tree scanning start giving wrong results!

Back