Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Background colors in TCC prompts (version 9.x)

Nov
The TCC Prompt windows default to white text on a black background. Is there any way to pick something other than the 16 colors listed in the drop down for the TCC Prompt background colors?

I'm running an ancient 4NT 5.0 copy on my computer and Windows lets me assign ANY RGB value to the background color. I prefer a muted yellow (think Post-It note) background with black text (then setting rest of colors around that theme. The Debugger tab allows me to use the Windows Color Picker. Why can't I do that for the command prompt windows?

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:40:35 -0600, mzaleski <> wrote:

>The TCC Prompt windows default to white text on a black background. Is there any way to pick something other than the 16 colors listed in the drop down for the TCC Prompt background colors?
>
>I'm running an ancient 4NT 5.0 copy on my computer and Windows lets me assign ANY RGB value to the background color. I prefer a muted yellow (think Post-It note) background with black text (then setting rest of colors around that theme. The Debugger tab allows me to use the Windows Color Picker. Why can't I do that for the command prompt windows?

I don't recall any 4NT dealing with more than 16 colors. And after examining
the v5 help file my memory is no better. You can, however, change the meaning
of the color names, 0=black, 1=red, ... by adding/changing the data (RGB specs)
in the registry values "ColorTable00" ~ "ColorTable15" (RGB specs) in the
appropriate subkey of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console.

the v5 help file my memory is no better. You can, however, change the meaning of the color names, 0=black, 1=red, ... by adding/changing the data (RGB specs) in the registry values "ColorTable00" ~ "ColorTable15" (RGB specs) in the appropriate subkey of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console.

Or, more easily, via the Colors tab of the console properties dialog (Alt-Space, P) — the same as 4NT and CMD.EXE.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:14:44 -0600, Charles Dye <> wrote:

>---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
>I don't recall any 4NT dealing with more than 16 colors. And after examining
>the v5 help file my memory is no better. You can, however, change the meaning of the color names, 0=black, 1=red, ... by adding/changing the data (RGB specs) in the registry values "ColorTable00" ~ "ColorTable15" (RGB specs) in the appropriate subkey of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console.
>---End Quote---
>Or, more easily, via the Colors tab of the console properties dialog (Alt-Space, P) &mdash; the same as 4NT and CMD.EXE.

Yes, that does the same thing.

Interesting that I have not received my post by email while I have received your
response to it.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:40:35 -0600, mzaleski <> wrote:

the v5 help file my memory is no better. You can, however, change the meaning
of the color names, 0=black, 1=red, ... by adding/changing the data (RGB specs)
in the registry values "ColorTable00" ~ "ColorTable15" (RGB specs) in the
appropriate subkey of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console.

I'm a bit confused. Both of the replies are referring to detached command windows, I think. I'm talking about if I have a TCC Prompt INSIDE of TC9 GUI, how can I change the background color.

Alt-Space doesn't work inside TC9 like it does in the old 4NT product.

I'm a bit confused. Both of the replies are referring to detached command windows, I think. I'm talking about if I have a TCC Prompt INSIDE of TC9 GUI, how can I change the background color.

Ah, you mean Take Command. No, TC doesn't offer any way of redefining the standard colors, though it might be a nice enhancement to request for v11.