Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Auto-Complete aka F8 in cmd.exe

Hi all,

I have downloaded and am currently trying out the demo and was wondering if there is a function that essentially emulates the F8 auto command completion feature found in cmd.
Eg where I could have previously typed "dir c:\dev" and then later type "dir c:" and press F8 to auto complete the statment as "dir c:\dev". Repeatedly pressing F8 would cycle through all history that matched "dir c:". I use this routinely and find that not having it is difficult to work with.

In addition to this, what is the logic behind the up arrow history. I find that it does not give me the last command entered as I would expect. What should I expect from this?

Regards,
Adam

The up-arrow key gives the last command beginning with whatever you've typed on the command line: what you expect F8 to do. If you just want the most recent command period, press up-arrow without typing anything.

Charles,

Thankyou for the quick reply. I am not finding this to be the case? Is there an option that needs to be switch on for this to work?

I have just opened a new instance of TC and typed the following commands...
dir
dir c:\develop
dir c:\develop\export

If I press the up arrow without typing anything I get a command typed from a previous session?
If I type dir c:\develop\e then press the up arow it does not fill in the rest of the statement as I would assume it would?

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Adam

It works when I try what you said. Is there anything in your history when you start your experiment? Do a "History" or a "History /f". Also, what are the settings in Options > Configure TCC > Command Line > Command History?

David,

I found that I had no history file in the command history. I have rectified this and am getting the desired result.

Thankyou for your help. Much appreciated.
Regards,
Adam

Thankyou for the quick reply. I am not finding this to be the case? Is there an option that needs to be switch on for this to work?

If I press the up arrow without typing anything I get a command typed from a previous session?

You probably have a global command history. I personally prefer to use local histories for everything. If you'd like to try this way, type OPTION, select the "Startup" tab, and turn on all the tick boxed under "Local Lists".

If you want, you can also remap the F8 key to recall lines from the command history. Open your .INI file in a text editor:

Code:
notepad "%_ininame"

Find the section beginning with [4NT], then add a line to that section:

Code:
PrevHistory=F8

and restart TCC.

You probably have a global command history. I personally prefer to use local histories for everything. If you'd like to try this way, type OPTION, select the "Startup" tab, and turn on all the tick boxed under "Local Lists".

If you want, you can also remap the F8 key to recall lines from the command history. Open your .INI file in a text editor:

Charles,

I agree with you regarding the local lists and have switched this on as you suggested. I have also remapped the command history to F8 just so same me from reteaching my fingers and frankly am loving TCC. This is going to certainly assist me greatly.

Thankyou.