Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Any suggestions for Windows 7 Virtual PC?

Has anyone tried to use TCC 11 in the Windows XP Virtual PC that is available for Windows 7?

I am using the virtual PC to support some legacy 16-bit apps that will not run on Windows 7 64-bit.

Any advice would be very helpful - especially on how to access the real disks which are shown in "My Computer" as, for example, "C on MICHAEL-PC." I've tried to use UNC (which I've never used before) using the command:

DIR \\MICHAEL-PC\C:

(also tried "C" instead of "C:", also totally dropped off the "C:" - nothing worked.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Bate

Hi Michael,

Try:

DIR \\MICHAEL-PC\C$

The $ makes it hidden. NT based Windows share the root of hard drives to administrators that way by default.

Keep in mind that you can do this with anything you share yourself, also. Just follow up whatever share name you assign with a $ and it won't show up when browsed.

-Tim

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 19:24 -0600, MichaelBate wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use TCC 11 in the Windows XP Virtual PC that is available for Windows 7?
>
> I am using the virtual PC to support some legacy 16-bit apps that will not run on Windows 7 64-bit.
>
> Any advice would be very helpful - especially on how to access the real disks which are shown in "My Computer" as, for example, "C on MICHAEL-PC." I've tried to use UNC (which I've never used before) using the command:
>
> DIR \\MICHAEL-PC\C:
>
> (also tried "C" instead of "C:", also totally dropped off the "C:" - nothing worked.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michael Bate
>
I use tcmd a lot in a virtual WinXP using vmware as the hypervisor. I
use windows explorer to assign drives letters to the host directories.

unc would have the format \\Michael-PC\ for root, and
"\\Michael-PC\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents" for that
directory. It does NOT use the colon syntax, and you would need to use
windows explorer to show you the UNC name, using '\' to separate each
level.

This has worked well for me for as long as I have been playing w/
virtualbox and vmware. Probably around tcmd 7 or so.

Good Luck

The root directory corresponds to the "folder that contains the drives", eg the root of c:\ drive is \\computer\c\, you see this in some browsers, as eg file://c/myapp/...

However, UNC is //server/share, and one relies on the hidden shares of Winnt, eg C$ for cdrive.

I use this quite a bit in things like fc/w, windows commander, and tcmd. I mainly use something like fcw as well, but

dir \\think40\documents

will list the root of the documents share.