Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Another modest proposal

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
May
Staff member
No, nothing to do with Soylent Emerald Isle. Or coining money from radioactive waste.

I think it would make sense for the x86 version to announce itself as "x86" in all the places that the x64 build now calls itself "x64": in the output of VER, in the Help/About dialog, names of shortcuts, installer dialogs, maybe even the filename of the installer itself.... There are probably a hundred places where the x64 build announces its platform and the x86 build doesn't. Not gonna happen in v17, I know, but something to think about for v18; and presumably continue until you drop 32-bit support altogether.

I really dislike the "x86" term -- it's meaningless to most users (except for us geezers).

I guess I'm a geezer now. (Migrating to a new printer/copier here, a Ricoh MP C6502. I find the "C6502" part funny for some reason. -- Hey, you kids get off my lawn!)

x86 reminds me of those days of making windows boot disks, when you would load this stuff into a directory \i386, and you knew quite well that it had no hope of booting in a i486, let alone a i386. But i suppose the Japanish are calling their x86 boxes PC-DOS/V machines. Could be worse.