Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? An admittedly somewhat silly question regarding elevation...

May
First, just to formally (re-)state some information so that the context is clear: I am somewhat incompetent because of (formally medically diagnosed) very bad memory. I am also somewhat blind and therefore quite dependent on large fonts and/or the native Windows "Magnifier" application. Because of the immediately previous, I almost never use the Windows GUI. However, there are a very few circumstances where I am pretty much forced to use the GUI; and there is one of them that came up quite often (I implemented the "cure" I am going to ask about a couple of days ago so I no longer remember exactly what prompted me to do it; bad memory as fairly is typical) where in whatever situation that was I was always getting the "Are you sure you want to allow xxx to run in Administrative mode?" prompt (I don't remember its exact wording because I haven't seen it for a couple of days and my usual bad memory) which was quite annoying so I implemented a "cure" that has the side-effect that I am now asking if anyone can think of another "cure" for without me having to log off and back on again every time this happens.

So, background #2, because of my incompetence I don't want to generally run in Administrative mode (other than the GUI which I use very little and really pretty only in the context of doing "safe" things); I generally want to see the "are you sure you want to do this?" Administrative prompt to make sure that I really want do whatever it is rather than my having made a stupid mistake I will later regret. (In truth, in the past I kept one "Administrative Take Command/TCC session open at all times but tried to avoid using it except for when I really needed it.)

So as a result of the first item above I wrote a (very) simple .btm file to "kill" Explorer (using "PSKill" from what was formerly System Internals now a part of Microsoft) and restart it in Administrative mode, and the GUI "elevation" issue is, of course, now totally gone. However, every program I start from the GUI now runs in Administrative mode which I find basically unacceptable because of the "danger" of always being in Administrative mode. (The primary situation is when I want to start a "new" non-Administrative Take Command/TCC session because my last started non-Administrative Take Command/TCC question closed for whatever (sometimes stupid I will fully admit) reason.)

So, now that I am done with the long "introduction" to what is really a very short question: is there any way to start a non-Administrative Take Command/TCC session when there are no non-Administrative tasks running in the system? I tend to think that the answer is "No", but it doesn't hurt (much, at any rate ;)) to ask...

- Dan

Hi,

you could create a normal user-account and use "runas" to start TC/TCC (with runas you have to provide the password).
There is also an useful utility called CPAU (Create Process As User), have a look at http://www.joeware.net/freetools/tools/cpau/index.htm (with cpau you can define the password as a parameter).

HTH.

Back