Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Advantages of 32 or 64 bit TCMD in 64 bit Windows 7

Apr
I am shortly picking up a Windows 7 62-bit box from Staples and wndered whart are the advantages of running the 64-bit of TCMD .vs. the 32-bit version of it? Is it that the 64-bit can access more RAM - or is there others?

We strongly advise against using the 32-bit version of Take Command in an x64 Windows environment. It offers no advantages, and several disadvantages:
  • It's 10-15% slower than the x64 version.
  • You won't be able to access some Windows directories (because Windows redirects 32-bit apps to different directories), so you won't see or be able to execute some x64 apps.
  • You won't be able to access some registry trees (again, because Windows is redirecting 32-bit apps to different trees).

You won't be able to access some Windows directories (because Windows redirects 32-bit apps to different directories), so you won't see or be able to execute some x64 apps.

On the topic of this redirection, when using the x64 version, is there any way to detect that this folder would have been redirected for a x86 app and display the x86 folder?

I run into the annoying situation where a x86 app refers me to a log or configuration setting or something that it sees in one directory, but I have to guess at what directory really contains the files. I'd love to invent a "cdx86" alias that would change me into the directory that a x86 app would see.