Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Action pauses on LMB

Jan
Deleting thousands of files on a network drive.
Code:
del /s /[d2017-01-01,2017-04-24] *.txt
Filenames are scrolling up the screen like mad with a "Deleting X:/path/filename.txt" kind of message for each file. I figure, while that's happening I'll continue working on my other monitor. If I click and hold my left mouse button anywhere, like in this Chrome window where I'm typing, the display in the TCMD window stops until I release the LMB. It does keep deleting in the background.

So I tested it with
Code:
do i = 1 to 19990 ( echo ---------------- %i ---------------- )
and it freezes the console during this also. It does, however, complete and the scrollback history contains the entire output.

Noticed it also happens in TCMD20. Is this a "feature" I didn't know about?

Edit: Does not happen when running TCC outside of TCMD.

I tried but couldn't reproduce it. Here's what I did.
RD to from lucky to zz.
Open TCC in v:\20000files\
do i=1 to 20000 ( touch /c %i.txt )
close the RD session
In TCC on lucky, cdd to \\zz\v$\20000files
del *.txt
do things with the LMB on lucky

Is that basically it?

It's the same with CMD in TCMD. TCMD just stops updating when the LMB is down. ... older TCMDs too.

I wouldn't have noticed it, but was wanting to keep a peripheral eye on what was happening in the window.

Yes, and it always has.
That's a feature! I'm afraid I just don't get it. Of what value is it for TCMD to cease outputting when I use the left mouse button in some other app?

That's a feature! I'm afraid I just don't get it. Of what value is it for TCMD to cease outputting when I use the left mouse button in some other app?

That's what was requested by (multiple) users, many years ago. If you want to change it, you can post in the suggestion forum and try to get everybody else to agree. Or toss the suggestion into the wayback machine and set it for 2002 ...

The point of pausing on mouse down is to pause ALL of the tab windows, not just the currently visible one, so it cannot be based on whether the current tab window is the focus window.

And unless you habitually leave a beanbag on your left mouse button, I don't see how this is particularly discommoding you (especially since you haven't noticed it, ever).

But it could be based on whether TCMD has focus. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want all (or any) TCMD tabs to pause when they select some cells in Excel

But it could be based on whether TCMD has focus.

No it can't -- because there's no such thing as TCMD having focus. TCMD is composed of a plethora of windows, and none of them EVER has focus (the hidden console window does).

Since you've now posted about this six times, can I assume (as in all previous similar cases) you don't actually care at all?

Back