Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

access denied problem under Vista

Jun
Hi. I was unable to copy a file into the take command default directory from my old one unless I ran take command as administrator which I might want to do sometimes, but not all the time! The new directory is the default installation directory and the old one was c:\tc32500. I am an administrator of the system, but for some reason this is not enough. Now, I use other programs which save under Program files without having to run as administrator, so what is going on here?

Thanks.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 04:12:56 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi. I was unable to copy a file into the take command default directory from my old one unless I ran take command as administrator which I might want to do sometimes, but not all the time! The new directory is the default installation directory and the old one was c:\tc32500. I am an administrator of the system, but for some reason this is not enough. Now, I use other programs which save under Program files without having to run as administrator, so what is going on here?
>
>Thanks.

The other programs you are using must also be running as
Administrator, as that is the only way to copy into the Program Files
directories under Vista unless you turn UAC off (as I have). Only
installers are allowed to write to Program Files (and a number of
other directories). Programs may seem to be writing to Program Files,
but in fact they may have been diverted to a special "VirtualStore"
folder instead. Take a look at:

\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

You may not be able to see that directory with normal software unless
you use "Run as Administrator".

This:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5538

has a quick explanation of what is going on (see the "Virtualization
Example" section).

Well, I have one program or maybe two which do just that -- write to the program files structure, but in thinking about it, this one -- my accounting package -- uses some sort of database which I think starts as a service, maybe this explains that.

So, should I uninstall and reinstall outside Program files -- like it was previously or is there a better solution -- because I want to put btm files, etc in that directory. Another thing, how do they write to the .ini files?

The other programs you are using must also be running as
Administrator, as that is the only way to copy into the Program Files
directories under Vista unless you turn UAC off (as I have). Only
installers are allowed to write to Program Files (and a number of
other directories). Programs may seem to be writing to Program Files,
but in fact they may have been diverted to a special "VirtualStore"
folder instead. Take a look at:

You may not be able to see that directory with normal software unless
you use "Run as Administrator".

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:10:19 -0500, you wrote:

>
>
>Well, I have one program or maybe two which do just that -- write to the program files structure, but in thinking about it, this one -- my accounting package -- uses some sort of database which I think starts as a service, maybe this explains that.
>
>So, should I uninstall and reinstall outside Program files -- like it was previously or is there a better solution -- because I want to put btm files, etc in that directory. Another thing, how do they write to the .ini files?
>

I am not going to be much help if you want to leave UAC on, as I just
turned it off as it gave me far too much trouble, especially with the
GBPVR program I wanted to install. With UAC off, it seems to work
just like XP.

Only installers are allowed to write to Program Files (and a number of other directories). Programs may seem to be writing to Program Files, but in fact they may have been diverted to a special "VirtualStore" folder instead. Take a look at:

You may not be able to see that directory with normal software unless you use "Run as Administrator".

This:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5538

has a quick explanation of what is going on (see the "Virtualization Example" section).
Thanks for providing this information. I had a hard time this morning helping a new Take Command user configure his copy of TCSTART.BTM, which I have always stored in the same directory as Take Command or TCC.EXE. We edited the file in three different editors, and each time thought we were saving it in "c:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD9", yet when we looked there from a TCC shell prompt or from Windows Explorer, TCSTART.BTM was nowhere to be found.

Arrrgh! This was so frustrating, since I am an experienced 4NT and Windows user, but have very little experience with Windows Vista. Now I know what's going on. (I sort of wish the Vista monkey business had been mentioned in the README file, because it would have saved me time.)

Does Take Command need a special directive in TCMD.INI to locate the TCSTART.BTM file, or does it know to look in the VirtualStore folder?

Eric Pement wrote:
| Does Take Command need a special directive in TCMD.INI to locate the
| TCSTART.BTM file, or does it know to look in the VirtualStore folder?

Look at help topic "startup2_2.htm", titled "Starting TCC" for various
methods of specifying the location of the TCSTART.BTM file in TCMD.INI or in
the start-up command itself.

If TCC is to start in a TCMD tab automatically, look in the description of
TCMD tabs.
--
HTH, Steve