Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4NT problems after going to Windows 7

Apr
[Posting this here, since there are no other suitable subforums.]

Since I installed Windows 7 I've experienced some weird problems with 4NT. First, I was unable to register it, after some searching I discovered it was caused by some changes in the registry. So I turned off UAC and the problem went away.

Next problem I encountered was somewhat more cryptic. 4NT randomly crashes. If I just leave it there, everything is fine. Typing "dir /s" WILL crash it, if not on the first time, then on the next time. Similarly, other programs that display a lot of text will crash 4NT. Sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes only seconds, but it will crash. This didn't happen under XP.

Sometimes the console window becomes messed up. There are "invisible rows" that suddenly appear from nowhere. This happens if you LIST some file and start scrolling. After you exit list, these rows remain in the screen, all black and empty. They are entirely black, no new output appears on them. If you type dir, the screen scrolls, but these rows stay empty. It is as if something forcibly overwrites those rows on the screen. These rows are only inside the console window, not anywhere else so I don't think it's a video driver issue. This didn't happen under XP.

Also, the console window is noticeably sluggish. Scrolling speed is slow. No need to measure, you can see it yourself. It is slow. Again, everything was fine under XP.

I had no idea 4NT was that buggy. Or is the console window under 7 buggier than it was under XP?

I won't stop using 4NT. Unless I can fix these problems, I'm going back to XP. No, I don't want Take Command. It is a GUI, not CLI.

So what am I going to do?

Typing "dir /s" WILL crash it
Does the version of 4NT you are using (you don't specify) support the /nj switch (which prevents the command from following junctions/symbolic links)?? The Windows 7 file structure contains 'loops' in the linked directories that will confuse the heck out of a DIR command that digs into those structures. For myself I've defined aliases for the obviously affected commands to add a /nj to every invocation, but then I'm running a version of TCC that supports that switch.

Joku Muu said:
I won't stop using 4NT. Unless I can fix these problems, I'm going back to XP. No, I don't want Take Command. It is a GUI, not CLI
Take Command is indeed a GUI wrapper for console applications but it comes with a TCC.EXE which can be run stand-alone and I guarantee that you won't be able to tell the difference between it and 4NT.EXE (other than all the new features that Rex has added, obviously)

Joku Muu said:
So what am I going to do?
Upgrade to TC v12.10, delete the icon(s) for the Take Command GUI, add new icon(s) for TCC with the name '4NT' and live happily ever after??

:)

TCC.exe is the new 4NT.exe you don't need to run take command

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joku Muu
>
> I won't stop using 4NT. Unless I can fix these problems, I'm
> going back to XP. No, I don't want Take Command. It is a
> GUI, not CLI.

The current incarnation of take command is not what it was before. You
don't say what version you are using. I'm guessing it is version 8 or
earlier.

Starting in version 9, Take Command became a combination of what was tci
and 4nt. The old take command, that is, the GUI terminal program and
command interpreter is gone.

And 4nt is now called tcc, or Take Command Console.

Download and try tccle, while is the light edition of the take command
connsole (you know this as 4nt). If you like it, remember you are
eligible for upgrade pricing. tccle is missing many of the commands in
the full version. You can d/l the .pdf manual and it would show what is
in the full version. I don't know if this clearly says the differences
btwn tccle and tcmd. The help file is clear.

--rob

On 05/01/2011 04:27 AM, Joku Muu wrote:

> Since I installed Windows 7 I've experienced some weird problems with 4NT. First, I was unable to register it, after some searching I discovered it was caused by some changes in the registry. So I turned off UAC and the problem went away.
>
> Next problem I encountered was somewhat more cryptic. 4NT randomly crashes. If I just leave it there, everything is fine. Typing "dir /s" WILL crash it, if not on the first time, then on the next time. Similarly, other programs that display a lot of text will crash 4NT. Sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes only seconds, but it will crash. This didn't happen under XP.
>
> Sometimes the console window becomes messed up. There are "invisible rows" that suddenly appear from nowhere. This happens if you LIST some file and start scrolling. After you exit list, these rows remain in the screen, all black and empty. They are entirely black, no new output appears on them. If you type dir, the screen scrolls, but these rows stay empty. It is as if something forcibly overwrites those rows on the screen. These rows are only inside the console window, not anywhere else so I don't think it's a video driver issue. This didn't happen under XP.
>
> Also, the console window is noticeably sluggish. Scrolling speed is slow. No need to measure, you can see it yourself. It is slow. Again, everything was fine under XP.
>
> I had no idea 4NT was that buggy. Or is the console window under 7 buggier than it was under XP?
>
> I won't stop using 4NT. Unless I can fix these problems, I'm going back to XP. No, I don't want Take Command. It is a GUI, not CLI.
>
> So what am I going to do?

All right, I tried TCC/LE and it seems to be just what I've been looking for. I guess I'll use it now. No bugs, fast and works fine.

Thanks!

Download and try tccle, while is the light edition of the take command
connsole (you know this as 4nt). If you like it, remember you are
eligible for upgrade pricing. tccle is missing many of the commands in
the full version. You can d/l the .pdf manual and it would show what is
in the full version. I don't know if this clearly says the differences
btwn tccle and tcmd. The help file is clear.

--rob

On 05/01/2011 04:27 AM, Joku Muu wrote:

I tried TCC/LE and it seems to be just what I've been looking for. I guess I'll use it now
Do keep in mind that TCC/LE is not actively being developed or supported and that if you'd like to benefit from the continuing work that Rex does on the tools then the 'full-fat' edition is the better bet.